26 - Celebrating Failure

1) This semester I'm taking a digital arts course. Part of this course's assignments involve filling 50 pages in a sketchbook over the six weeks of class. Due to this, I've had to fill at least a page every day if not more. In the past, I've been very hesitant about taking risks in my sketchbooks since I didn't want to look back on bad pieces. However, because I had to draw so much, it was impossible for me to take the same amount of time to draw and I had to keep coming up with objects outside of my comfort zone to vary up the types of drawing I was doing. There have been days where my sketches have been pretty bad - especially once I fell behind and had to do three or four pages in one day.

2) I learned to be less cautious about what I draw. Because I have been pushing myself, in spite of failure, I have gotten significantly better at shading and feel pretty good about drawing a lot of things I hadn't felt comfortable doing before.

3) Failure is not, in itself, that bad. It's how closely the failure ties to your own self worth. In my case, there are things I don't mind failing at. I don't mind losing at games and I'm not really bothered by not being good at certain activities like math or something like baseball which I have no interest in. But I think it's the most impactful when it's something I take pride in or when it feels like it was due to a mistake rather than a lack of trying. I usually work harder at this, until I reach what I feel is enough or until I decide that this no longer means that much to me. I think I'm just as likely to take a risk now as I was in the start of the course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

22 - Elevator Pitch No. 3

17 - Elevator Pitch No.2